The national’s largest senior health and wellness event is celebrated May 30th. The goal of this event is to help older Americans maintain health and fitness. At every ability level, seniors should incorporate exercise into their daily routine. Exercise has important health benefits at every age. Exercise reduces blood pressure, increases bone density, and promotes cardiac health and supports healthy weight management. Seniors may have difficulty finding exercise that meets their ability level. Talk with your doctor before starting any new exercise routine and enjoy the benefits of getting fresh air, making new friends, and being fit! Find an activity that is enjoyable so you can incorporate it as a part of your everyday routine. The following are some exercises that seniors can enjoy to celebrate National Senior Fitness Day!
- Yoga. Yoga can be adapted to any ability level. Doing daily stretches and incorporating mindfulness and gratitude are good for your body and mind!
- Cycling. Cycling can be done indoors and is a gentle movement that can be done in the safety of the home.
- Water Aerobics. Water aerobics is a gentle exercise on joints and is a fun group activity for seniors.
- Tai-Chi. Tai-chi improves strength and stability while promoting mindfulness.
- Strength Training. Lifting hand weights can be a helpful to increase strength and flexibility.
Have fun being FIT!